Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sexism In Restaurants

I'd like to vent about something that not a lot of people seem to care about. Before I vent let me explain, I'm a doting father. I love my daughter and am VERY active in her life. We regularly go out together just the 2 of us while mom hangs out with friends, gets a haircut or has an appointment. As you would expect we go out to eat a lot just her and I. Here is where the sexism comes in. 7 out of 10 times when I go to a restaurant there is a Changing Station in the women's restroom but not in the men's restroom...... When you cater to one sex, or provide a benefit to one sex and not the other, that's sexism and that's wrong. Now the when I make a suggestion to the Manager of the restaurant their typical reply is, "Well I never thought of that...." So I suggest they spend the $50.00 and install a changing station and "Oh, by the way will you clear the women's restroom and stand guard so I can change my daughter's diaper in there on the changing station?" Sometimes they ask me if I'm serious. Of course I'm serious.. My daughter needs to have her diaper changed and you put the Changing Station in the women's room and I'm a man. Would you rather I change her out here on one of the benches for everyone to see/hear/smell?

On a related note I'm also tired of men being portrayed as in so many negative ways in advertising. I'm very disppointed in my fellow men on this point as they don't seem to care. If commercials were portraying women as inept, bumbling, poor housekeepers or oblivious parents they'd be up in arms and complaining to the television stations for running the ads as well as the businesses that the ads are for. Step up here Gentlemen please.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here to get this from FreeFlashToys.com!